Â Lifting and carrying are power jobs. When you lift and carry the wrong way, you can damage your back or end up with an injury. To avoid such incidents, here are some useful tips on how to properly lift and carry safely.
1) First, you should always protect your hands and feet by wearing safety gear
2) Always use your stomach as a low back support by pulling it in during lifting.
3) Check the load you plan to carry to make sure it is distributed evenly and doesn't have sharp or protruding objects. Check the path you are walking to make sure it is clear of objects that could make you trip or fall.
4) Bend from the knees, both in picking up the load and setting it down at its destination. Don't bend or twist your body while carrying.
5) Size up the load-tip it on its side to see if you can carry it comfortably. Get help if the load is too big or bulky for one person. Check for nails, splinters, rough strapping and sharp edges first.
6) Lift it correctly by making sure your footing is solid. Keep your back straight, with no curving or slouching. Center your body over your feet, get a good grip on the object and pull it close to you. Pull your stomach in firmly. Lift with your legs; not your back. If you need to turn, move your feet and don't twist your back.
7) Do not try to carry a big load alone, ask for help. Work as a team by lifting, walking and lowering the load together. Let one person call the shots and direct the lift. Use proper mechanical devices for extremely heavy loads.
8) For loads that are up high, use a step stool or a sturdy ladder to reach loads that are above your shoulders. Get as close to the load as you can and slide the load toward you. Do all the work with your arms and legs; not your back.
9) Low loads that are under racks and cabinets need extra care. Pull the load toward you, and then try to support it on one knee before you lift. Use your legs to power the lift.
Remember these weight-lifting techniques and try to implement them in your daily job or work routine for a strong, healthy and powerful back.